OVERALL OBJECTIVE OF JOB:
To assist the Assistant Public Defenders and to complete daily clerical functions of the Public Defender’s Office; to coordinate court appointments and hearings in order to ensure smooth and efficient operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF JOB:
1. Prepares and processes information for court appointments and preliminary hearings.
2. Reviews and processes all juvenile related work for Juvenile Assistant Public Defenders.
3. Prepares court orders and correspondence for assigned attorneys; places phone calls to defendants and other clients.
4. Processes and completes expungement processes.
5. Processes juvenile case dispositions and completes files after hearings are closed.
6. Reviews and distributes preliminary hearing files for cases scheduled with District Magistrates.
7. Maintains hearing schedules, tracking changes and modifications.
8. Prepares and distributes hearing files to Department secretaries for upper court docketing.
9. Utilizes AS400 computer system for reports, docketing and tracking of cases.
10. Prepares and distributes expense reports for attorney submission of reimbursable expenses.
1. Must be able to pay close attention to detail and concentrate in a moderately stressful environment.
2. Must possess the ability to record, convey and present information to employees, explain policies and procedures and follow instruction.
3. Must be able to sit and stand intermittently throughout the work day, with occasional walking, twisting, bending, stooping, overhead reaching and grasping.
4. Dexterity requirements range from fine manipulation of hands/fingers to coordinated movement of feet/legs/torso to carry out job duties.
5. Sedentary work, with occasional lifting/carrying of objects up to 10 pounds.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Some secondary education and knowledge of the legal administrative process preferred. Typing, computer and clerical skills are required.
B. WORK EXPERIENCE:
1-2 years previous experience as in the legal secretary field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Must be able to speak and understand the English language and to follow oral and written instruction.
2. Must possess the ability to function independently, have flexibility and the ability to work effectively with the general public and co-workers.
3. Must possess effective interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Must possess the technical knowledge to operate a computer at an intermediate skill level and use other office equipment to perform job duties.
5. Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
6. Must possess the ability to follow instruction and complete required forms and documentation without error.
7. Must possess the ability to maintain and organize files as required by several departments.
8. Must possess knowledge of office procedures, best practices and methods.
Resumes can be sent to Amanda Bernard, 2 N Main Street, Greensburg, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Employment in Westmoreland